10 Weeks Later – On the Move


Ten weeks ago, somewhere over the Atlantic, I realized I had a bunch of things to do.  After all, I was returning home!

During those three and half years away, I changed.  Embraced by love and kindness, tempered by hardship and loss, and challenged by running my own business and distance from home, I cannot deny that my time in Ghana really affected me.  Some would argue I became quasi-Ghanaian. (More about that in another post.)

At first, I came home intent on finding work as soon as possible.  I even impressed myself with lining up a couple of interviews without really trying too hard.  I also signed up for two programming classes: Java and MySQL.


The prospect of going back to work, however, gave me pause.  America had also changed and I wanted to get reacquainted with her, too.  So for most of October, I toured around California — San Francisco, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, San Diego —  comparing the present with my memories.  (With a little more money, I’d also like to visit Colorado and Texas, too.)


Scoma’s Restaurant in Sausalito

View of San Francisco

View of San Francisco

The Castro

The Castro

Before I could delve back into finding a job, I realized I needed to clean out my stuff from my storage locker in Long Island City, New York.  Back in 2011, my partner and I moved out of our tiny studio in haste and packed all of our things in a 5′ x 10′ storage unit.

IMG_0766 IMG_0767IMG_0831

After three days of heavy lifting, I was able to empty the unit of my things, pack them, and send them home.  My legs and lower back ached after the second day.  “Many thanks to folks at Fairfield Inn in LIC!”  They really made my stay bearable.

I felt like the Big Guy in the sky was looking out for me.  On the first day, I got 60 F weather so I could move my boxes quickly; on the second day, it rained but all I had to do was deliver the boxes to the post office; on the third day, temperatures started dropping but I spent most of my time indoors packing; on the last day, the hotel granted me late check-out and the ‘car’ they called for the ride into Midtown was a limo.


Oh yeah, I also rounded my NYC experience with a trip to the barbershop.  Had to look clean for my 5-year b-school reunion.

IMG_0842Unfortunately, I don’t have many pictures from a weekend of bar hopping and late night dining.  I just got back to SD Sunday night.  I’m finally ready to get to work!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: